Thursday, May 27, 2010

Things-that-are-awesome Thursday!

Woot, it's Thursday!

I have two things that are awesome today.  Number one is a blog I'd like to draw attention to:  The Accidental Environmentalist, home of the Need-A-Bag? project.  The N-A-B? project operates on the same premise as the Need a penny? Take a penny! tray you see everywhere.  Set up at farmers markets, we offer free re-usable shopping bags.  Need a bag, take a bag.  If you want to bring it back next week, great!  If you forget, that's okay too!  We also like donations, both of bags and money.  We're not non-profit, though, and we certainly don't expect donations.  We just don't turn them away if they're offered.

Today was the N-A-B?'s maiden voyage to the High Springs Farmers Market, captained by yours truly.  N-A-B? has a permanent spot at the Alachua County Farmers Market on Saturday mornings, as well.

We're looking for locals to franchise out to the rest of our county's farmers markets, but I'd like ya'll to consider implementing something similar in your area.  Here's the short of it:  Pick up spare bags from friends, family, strangers, yard sales and thrift stores.  You don't want to go and buy new bags specifically for this, but buying used ones from thrift and yard sales is fine.  Wash them, tag them with your mission statement, and offer them to the shoppers for free!  Lather, Rinse, Repeat the weeks following. 

Please comment here or email me at accidentallymommy@gmail.com if you want to know more, and I'll give you the rest of the details. :D

The second thing that is awesome this week?  You.  Yes, YOU.  I want you all to know that I appreciate your presence, your comments, the time you take to read my posts - all of it.  I think you're awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment