Thursday, April 12, 2012

Through the looking glass

I wish the world could see my children through my eyes. I also wish that I would remember I feel this way when I'm frustrated or tired.

I posted that on my facebook this morning, and I found myself repeating it over and over like a mantra alll afternoon.



What to do when a child's behavior is off and completely out of control, and out of THEIR control?  How to hold one's tongue and exasperation whilst said child bounds across furniture in a fervor of frenetic energy she has no idea how to control?


This is the medication rollercoaster that I spoke briefly of last post.


So what to do?  How do I help her cope?  How do *I* cope?  There is no warning label that states that I may become frazzled and frustrated with directions on how to reverse the reaction.  There are no wiki-how's on curbing my tongue or her behavior.


Here's what's worked for us so far:  Cuddling.


Lots of cuddling.  When she looks like she's going to shake out of her skin, we sit down for a hug.  When I'm in tears over burning dinner and shouting at her to get off the back of the couch, we sit down for a hug.


Talking it out.  Kinder major is extremely sensitive and understands that some of this is out of her control.  It's therapeutic for her to hear my words when I say that  I understand that she can't help it sometimes.


Space.  Sometimes we just need to walk away from eachother.


At the end of the day, though, we cuddle under the blankets and I do whatever I must between snack and story to make my beautiful children laugh, and I remember why I want the world to see them as I do.  They're brilliant, funny, beautiful little beings.


I'm so blessed to be their mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment